Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Scribbles

 I used to draw all the time. It was a way to for me to escape and find focus. Through the years I stopped drawing. I started working on 3D models and computer graphics. Recently though I have had a longing to draw again. I think it is because I've been reading comics more. Ever since I was diagnosed with "trigeminal neuralgia" I have not been able to sit in front of the computer for long periods of time without having extreme pain in my jaw. I realized that if I'm in a laying position when the pain gets bad it helps alleviate the pain.
   So, as of late, I am laying down reading more than I've been on the computer doing my 3D work. I've been rediscovering old comic books from my past and, new comics that I find interesting. I've been enjoying the artwork of older artist I grew up admiring like Peter Laird and Jim Lawson, while discovering new artist like Michael Dooney, Dan Berger and, Shane Davis. I find the work of these fantastic artists to be inspiring. Makes me want to dig out the art set, sharpen my pencils and, see if I still have any skills.
   Here are a few of my new sketches. I've always been a bit of a scribbler. I'm learning a new technique where I start off with stick figures to get the pose and proportions right. Then from there I fill in the stick figure with basic geometric shapes. After that I just start filling in the details. It is a great method used by a lot of comic artist. I think with a little practice, and some new techniques, this shaky old hand might be able to draw good again.     
             Thanks for looking.






















No comments:

Post a Comment